Medical Oncology Center
The goal of the center is to provide OPD cancer services specialized in medical oncology. Medical oncology refers to treatment of cancer with medication, such as chemotherapy, aimed at destroying or stopping cancer cells from growing or spreading. Emphasis is placed upon providing treatment that enhances patient’s Quality of Life and preventing chance of recurrences. Patients and family will be well-informed of treatment choices, and will be involved through any decision-making processes. Under the care of specialized oncologists and a multidisciplinary medical team, treatment plan and services will be personalized to suit each individual patient. Furthermore, consultation is readily available to answer any queries or concerns that may arise.
Scope of service includes Direct Treatment through medication, the selection of type of and combinations of treatment will depend on your oncologist and patient’s consent. Our treatment services include:
- Chemotherapy refers to treatment of disease that uses chemicals to cancer cells.
- Chemotherapy drugs are administered by oral intake or injection. Since the medication travels through the blood stream into the entire body, the procedure is considered a body-wide (systemic) treatment
- Chemotherapy may be used to cure cancer, control the spread of cancer, relieve symptoms (when the cancer cannot be cured)
- Hormone Therapy
- Some cancers require hormones to grow; hormone therapy for cancer is the use of medicines to block the effects of hormones. It does not work for all types of cancer
- Hormone therapy is effective in treating cancers that are hormone sensitive or hormone dependent, for example breast cancer
- Works by stopping hormones being made or preventing hormones from helping cancer cells grow and divide
- Targeted Therapy
- Targeted therapy is a newer type of cancer treatment that uses drugs or other substances to more precisely identify and attack cancer cells, usually while doing little damage to normal cells.
- While chemotherapy will affect the region/area the cancer is located, target therapy focuses on the tumor or cancer cells specifically. This can result in less side effects and complications than chemotherapy.
- It is often used along with chemotherapy and other cancer treatments to block the growth and spread of cancer cells
- Stimulates and aids immune system to more efficiently eradicate cancer cells
- Effective in preventing growth and spread of cancer cells
- One form of immunotherapy is monoclonal antibodies which are synthetic antibodies that attach to specific protein in cancer cells
*New technologies such as molecular or genetic analysis of cells will help in selection of which type/s of treatment will be most suitable or effective for each patient, while minimizing side effects
Cancer Care Excellence
The Medical Oncology Center provides comprehensive services under the 360 Cancer Care model
The Medical Oncology Center aims to provide quality cancer treatment under the care of specialized medical personnel which includes oncologists, experienced nurses, oncology pharmacists, nutritionists, and psychologists. Group Therapy sessions are available where cancer patients have a forum to exchange experiences, inspirations, and more. The Education Center is on hand to provide knowledge regarding disease, treatment, and guidelines for prevention and care for patients and relatives. Information is provided through a number of mediums including audio, video, educational books etc. Furthermore, our Call Center can be contacted 24 hours a day in case of emergencies or complications.
Our chemotherapy unit, apart from quality processes and techniques that meet international standards, provides a homely relaxed environment to help reduce stress for patients. In cases where the patient requires continuous medication but prefers to not stay at the hospital Ambulatory Chemotherapy services are available which utilizes special equipment such as the Portable Pump. With proper guidance and instruction, this treatment option can be effective, safe, and help reduce costs for patients.
Effective cancer treatment requires a multidisciplinary approach with regards to treatment choices and consultation. With this in mind, the Tumor Board Conference is regularly held to showcase research, techniques, and innovative treatment methods. Furthermore, teleconferences are just one component of ongoing cooperation with leading international cancer institutions such as MD Anderson from the United States. To ensure continuous improvement the center engages in Clinical Research and Training to provide better cancer treatment and consistently high service quality.
The Hematology Center offers services in diagnosis and treatment of cancer and other diseases related to the blood as well as patients who have received stem cell or bone marrow transplants. The center is staffed by a multidisciplinary medical team under international quality standards such as Hospital Accreditation (HA) and from the Joint Commission International (JCI) from the United States. The Hematology aims to provide prompt diagnosis and timely treatment by specialized medical staff supported by advanced medical technology. The center prides itself in its specialization in stem cell and bone marrow transplantation and Targeted Therapy, the goal of which is to discover and treat the cause of disease to decrease the negative effects of abnormal cells. The goal is to provide efficient treatment with positive results, prevent recurrence of disease, while minimizing patient expenditure. Wattanosoth Hospital (Bangkok Cancer Hospital) has offered services in stem cell and bone marrow transplantation since 2008. This treatment is a tertiary care service and has been wide accepted in the international medical community; today it is considered one of the best forms of cancer treatments that prevent recurrence.
Scope of Services :
At Hematology Center Wattanosoth Cancer Hospital our diagnostic and treatment services include the following diseases
1. Hematologic Malignancy
- Marrow Cancer
2. Blood Disorder
- Thalassemia -a genetic disease
- Aplastic Anemia
3. Other disease related to blood
- Anemia from other causes such as kidney failure
- Low blood platelet count – Thrombocytopenia
- Abnormal blood conditions- i.e. excessive bleeding that does not stop
Why Choose Hematology Center :
At the Hematology Center we treat patients as family, to instill trust and belief in our medical team and treatment methods, all of which are pivotal to ensure cancer treatment is efficient and successful. The team of doctors and nurses will explain clearly to patients and relatives each step of the treatment process. The center offers One Stop Service with Comprehensive Facilities, such that when a patient is registered at Wattanosoth Hospital he/she will not have to be referred to another institution as the hospital will offer all necessary aspects of care under the guidance of specialized doctors and nurses who are on hand 24/7 to provide support and meet patient’s needs.
Blood and Marrow Stem Cell Transplant Center aims to provide a holistic care for patients with hematologic malignancies and bone marrow disorders such as aplastic anemia and thalassemia with severe symptoms. Since technological development has increasingly emerged, medical technology along with expertise significantly improves the chance of success rates. Before starting treatment, treatment options will be thoroughly explained to the patients and family, therefore treatment plans could be mutually customized depending primarily on patient’s conditions and desires while taking both physical and mental aspects into consideration. Not only improving survival, but our comprehensive care also intends to enhance patient’s quality of life during and after treatment.
- Advanced sterilization room with positive pressure: To reduce the chance of infections during treatment, patients will be treated in isolation rooms with special air filters.
- Well-trained and highly specialized hematologists in all types of bone marrow transplant, including autologous transplant (self-donated), allogeneic transplant using matched donor and haploidentical transplant (allogeneic transplant using half-matched donor).
Comprehensive services at Blood and Marrow Stem Cell Transplant Center include:
- Hematologic malignancies
- Multiple myeloma
- Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS)
- Non-malignant blood disorders
- Aplastic anemia
Advances in technology and treatment approaches
Bone marrow and stem cell transplants are effective methods used to treat hematologic malignancies e.g. leukemia, multiple myeloma and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Transplantation, considered as new hope of a cure, helps restoring the body’s ability to produce new blood cells after achieving complete remission by the administration of high-dose chemotherapy and/or radiation. Besides attaining the best possible treatment outcomes, our highly experienced hematologists have expertise in monitoring and managing graft versus host disease (GVHD) which is an immune-mediated condition resulting from a complex interaction between donor and recipient adaptive immunity. Effective management significantly reduces the chances of failure and mortality rates. As a result, the chances of being cured from blood cancers are considerably high, especially in patients who received timely treatment.
Before starting treatment
Prior to bone marrow and stem cell transplant, patients need to undergo a series of tests and procedures to assess their general health and the status of their conditions in order to ensure that they are physically prepared for the transplant. More importantly, patients need to understand their requirement for the transplant as well as all processes of treatments and expected outcomes. Possible side effects and complications caused by the transplant might arise at anytime during treatment. These often include infections due to suppressed immune function, side effects or adverse drug reactions from high-dose chemotherapy and graft versus host disease which is a possible complication of receiving a stem cell or bone marrow transplant from another person (an allogeneic transplant). Therefore, close supervision and appropriate management of these undesired effects remain extremely important.
A series of laboratory tests and procedures is involved during treatment in order to ensure that patients are physically eligible for receiving high-dose chemotherapy as a part of the transplant with less chances of complications. Patients’ conditions must be applicable to remain in the sterilization rooms to continue treatment for a month or even longer in some cases.